Suggestion, reduce sightdistance of pinned troops

One of the functions of suppressive fire is to prevent observation by targeted enemy troops, i.e., if they have their faces buried in the ground then it’d be really hard to get a good look around.

What I’m suggesting is that soldiers pinned (red *) get their sightdistance substantially reduced. As it stands now infantry can rush deployed machineguns, for example, and even if they get pinned they are still providing LOS for any support weapons behind them (tanks, field guns, mortars, artillery, etc).

I imagine this would somewhat affect balance if implemented but it seems like an interesting and realistic game mechanic. As always, I defer judgment to the developers and more experienced players.

I would be interested in doing this, but in combination to some changes to the fear system. I personally think that as units gain experience they should develop some fear resistance.

This would help address one issue I have;

1. Troops are too easily pinned, which prevents tactical retreats
  2. When suppressed troops get a huge damage bonus and can still fire at the same range -> it’s usually better to keep fighting than retreat, as you can suppress the MG / AA / whatever and then close in with SMG / nades to end it quickly.

I agree with increasing fear resistance for experienced troops. In fact, I had assumed that’s how it worked when fear was initially added.

“1. Troops are too easily pinned, which prevents tactical retreats”… I agree, but in case this get’s overlooked, then I agree with nemo and tot, I want vets to be fear resistant.

“2. When suppressed, troops get a huge damage bonus and can still fire at the same range -> it’s usually better to keep fighting than retreat, as you can suppress the MG / AA / whatever and then close in with SMG / nades to end it quickly.”

What you mean with getting huge damage bonus? They get killed faster or they do a lot more damage?

o.O

Lowdive: that was neddie, not me :stuck_out_tongue:

The tricky thing about having infantry be more resistant to fear as they gain exp is that going prone is often something that -extends- the life of an infantryman in S44. If they stayed standing they’d probably die much much faster (because of that armor bonus they get while prone).

However, having the pinned level rise based on exp sounds pretty reasonable to me. Another candidate for post-lus <_<

As for LoS and pinned status: we actually had this in the game about two years ago (arrrrgh that’s so long ago). it was pretty neat in some situations, but it also made infantry engagements even -more- unforgiving, as once you started to get suppressed you stopped being able to see the enemy who was shooting at you and thus dealt practically no damage in return. Tying it to pinned would affect fewer things, of course (hard for a situation to be that much more unforgiving then “sit there and wait until death”), so that’s a possibility.

For what its worth - I absolutely agree with floz about the lack of retreat potential: right now once forces are engaged, pretty much all you can do is commit more forces of some kind to try to ensure you win - it is really, really hard to enter an engagement, realize you’re outmatched, and move away without taking really big losses. More specifically, the window of time where you can make that realization and move away before you take huge losses is very, very small (godde does this, which is why he always has more infantry than everyone else).

We’ll probably poke at this eventually, but certainly not before 1.53: on the whole I feel good about infantry interactions right now (potential exception of snipers being so numerous).

Woops… Srry… all you devs wearing red color nametags, and you and neddie starting with N and, so cold and dark in the morning… and…
Srry, my bad. XD