So in my infinite boredom at work, I’ve been compiling stats from our various hosts, and was shocked at some of our download numbers. To be specific, how high they are. I feel like our issue at this point isn’t exposure so much (although more is always better) but getting the people who do download the game into the lobby and playing games.
Luettich installer+game file had roughly 16,000 over its course
Lyuban already has ~8900 (released in late may). Game file alone for Lyuban was in the range of 2500.
So the dialogue I was hoping to open is this - we’re getting fairly high numbers of downloads, but they are just not making it into the lobby.
Obviously no silver bullet here, and I understand that the majority of people are not looking for multiplayer most likely, but my goal is basically to create a bigger community around the game (multiplayer being a secondary goal, singleplayer being something of a means to those ends).
Ideas we’ve already talked about:
- A web based mission/campaign system (to keep people coming past the homepage as they progress through the missions).
- Cash prize tournaments/tournaments in general (not likely to appeal to newbie types, but perhaps still worthwhile for getting general interest up)
- Multiplayer campaign style events (basically a very specialized tournament run in teams)
- Tutorial missions
Some brainwaves of mine:
- Use the home page to schedule events for newbies - try to set times for people to come into the lobby and get games with other newbies or as part of a team with experienced people. Say a weekly or biweekly event.
- Peripheral events using the game master tools; setting up cool scenarios for people to run as a one-off event (probably done more easily using mission editor). And/or smaller things like deathmatch style tank squadron duels (spawn with 4-5 tanks, fight!) or dogfighting.
- will add more as it occurs to me