Repository info

[size=150]TL;DL - “I just want to play with a dev build”[/size]
(in the ‘games’ subfolder of your spring data directory, which is either: “~/.spring/games” or “Documents\My Games\Spring\Games”)

git clone https://github.com/spring1944/spring1944.git S44Main.sdd

[size=150]How to get the dev version of S44 (for playing or developing)[/size]
S44 lives in Github now! Git is a little different from SVN, and we’re not longer located at sourceforge (the SVN repo is now read-only, and will no longer be updated). These instructions are for the command line git client, which is the same on all Linux distros, Windows and Mac. If you’d rather use a graphical interface, there are several good clients, such as Github for Windows, TortoiseGit, and Github for Mac.

[size=125]To initialize the repository (using S44Main as the example):[/size]
if you have a github account with a public key on file, grab it like this:

git clone git@github.com:spring1944/spring1944.git S44Main.sdd

if you do not have an account, and/or do not need commit access:

git clone https://github.com/spring1944/spring1944.git S44Main.sdd

That will put s44 into a directory called S44Main.sdd. If you just want to play, you’re done!

[size=125]Hacking on S44 (a short guide to git)[/size]

If you’re making changes that you’d like to get incorporated into the main S44 build, you can “fork” the repository on github (create your own personal copy of it) and then create a pull request against the main S44 repository. Here’s a guide on that process.

git status
[/code] is your most common command: it will tell you which files have changes that will be committed (or are new files which will be added, or files which were deleted), and which ones have changes that will -not- be committed. 
when you edit a file, to mark it as "to be committed" do [code]
git add units/ger/GERRifle.fbi

once that’s done, you can commit your changes with git commit -m 'Increased move speed for GERRifle'
that will save your changes in your local repository. to push them to the remote repository, do git push origin <branch> where is usually master
to pull in new changes from the remote repository, run git pull If you want, you can use git pull --rebase to “flatten” the git history, so your current (not yet pushed) commits will be jammed into the repo history as a flat line, rather than a branch. I usually do this.

I’ve been recommended SourceTree as a graphical Windows git client. So far it works fine. Maybe that will be of use to others, too.