Pre-M (v0.041) test results (the good, the bad and the ugly)

Or should that be the fun, the weird and the funny?

First the fun part. Rounding up troops that have surrendered with halftracks. :stuck_out_tongue:
Just move in with a few halftracks and suppress a bunch of troopers until they surrender and order the halftracks to load them. You can then prepare a little prison back at base for your new “guests” and unload them there. It’s not possible to move them very far, though, because the prisoners might decide that resistance is NOT futile while in transit at which point your units will try to “pacify” the prisoners while they’re still inside the halftrack, not good for the halftrack.

The weird is that some of my troops were switching sides over to the enemy. Not to neutral, to the enemy, while no one was shooting at them. I ordered a browning medium machinegun to deploy and upon completion of the morphing process it became an enemy unit. Another case was the spawning of a HQ squad, the four springfields emerged first, then the first thompson (nothing out of the ordinary) but the second thompson was an enemy unit. German mind control tech?

The funny part is that if you force some enemy infantry to surrender while there are some other enemy units nearby then the unaffected units will shoot the surrendering infantry in the back of the head, as if saying “Die, traitor!!!”. :no4:

As for the infantry vs vehicles balance my only concern is that increased small arms damage vs vehicles kinda leaves the russian PTRD infantry without a niche.

Looks like I have some work to do with the surrender gadget. Weird about teams shooting at their own former troops, that shouldn’t happen.

Infantry AT weapons already do twice as much as an equivalent vehicle-mounted AT weapon (otherwise PTRD would be lolfail), I suppose I could try increasing this if PTRD is too weak now.

I’ve fixed prisoners reverting while in transports, and the “die traitor” bit shouldn’t happen in games between humans. I’m not sure why CRAIG didn’t ally to GAIA like it should have, but I’ll poke at it.

The random team switching, I have no idea about. Hopefully you’ll find more specific circumstances on that one. Thanks Tot!

The team switching thing seems to happen if there’s a squad spawning from the HQ or barracks at the same time some other infantry fighting on the front lines gets suppressed into surrendering and perhaps killed by accident as the enemy continues to fire at soldiers behind the ones that surrendered. My little bro points out that it might have something to do with recycling of unit IDs.

To test it, just have the HQ and barracks constantly build squads and send some soldiers at enemy machineguns (or anything else that might cause a surrender). Eventually a unit or two from a squad will spawn as an enemy unit.

Just in case, I was playing as the US against craig controlled Germany on 1944 village crossing v2. Fixed alliances was off, craig difficulty was on easy, command income per tick per prisoner was on 0.75, sandbox faction was disabled, game mode was traditional. I was still using pre-m, haven’t tested the latest svn yet.

The weirdness has gone down in svn rev 1731 but I still notice some team switching. It’s definitely not as bad as before but it still happens once in a while.

Also got some surrender gadget errors. From the infolog.txt:

[ 11220] LuaRules::RunCallIn: error = 2, GameFrame, [string "LuaRules/Gadgets/game_surrender.lua"]:125: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value) stack traceback: [string "LuaRules/Gadgets/game_surrender.lua"]:125: in function 'GameFrame' [string "LuaRules/gadgets.lua"]:928: in function <[string "LuaRules/gadgets.lua"]:926> (tail call): ?

Just tested svn rev 1733. The error seems to be gone but there are still some defections. I had instances of vehicles and planes switching over to the enemy, something which I had never seen happen before. Previously, defections were limited to squads spawning from HQ/rax and units that had just finished deploying.

I also noticed that a lot fewer units surrender now and that a surrendering unit disappears from the battlefield for a brief moment before being replaced by a neutral one.