aai

I found this file in the AAI dir, forgot what it was named but it had this text:

SIDES 4
START_UNITS GERHQBunker GBRHQ RUSCommander USHQ
SIDE_NAMES GERMANY GB USSR USA
MAX_SCOUTS 4
MAX_BUILDERS 50
MAX_BUILDERS_PER_TYPE 5
MAX_FACTORIES_PER_TYPE 3
MIN_ASSISTANCE_BUILDSPEED 50
MAX_GROUP_SIZE 10
MAX_AIR_GROUP_SIZE 4
MAX_XROW 8
MAX_YROW 8
X_SPACE 16
Y_SPACE 16
MAX_BASE_SIZE 10
HIGH_RANGE_UNITS_RATE 5
SCOUT_SPEED 1200.0
GROUND_ARTY_RANGE 3000.0
STATIONARY_ARTY_RANGE 3210.0
MIN_ENERGY 1
AIRCRAFT_RATE 5
AIR_DEFENCE 5
MAX_METAL_COST 8000
MAX_DEFENCES 12
METAL_ENERGY_RATIO 25
MAX_METAL_MAKERS 15
MAX_MEX_DISTANCE 9
MAX_MEX_DEFENCE_DISTANCE 7
MIN_FACTORIES_FOR_STORAGE 2
MAX_STAT_ARTY 0
SCOUTS 7 USM8Greyhound GERBeobInf USObserv GBRObserv GBRDaimler RUSObserv RUSBA64
ATTACKERS 6 GBRRifle GBRSTEN USGIRifle USGIThompson GERPanzerGren GERMP40

This looks like an AAI config for the lite beta. It needs some tweaking for the svn version, after that it should work. Of course, AIs aren’t best S’44 players since gameplay differs from OTA too much (like flags being killable only by some units of which an AI is not aware, or ammo supply system).

AAI will not work with the current iteration of S’44. This is because it won’t ever build the ‘squad spawner’ units. It will most probably build tanks however, but it isn’t likely to survive long enough without infantry.
This can be fixed. We already have special AI sides. What is needed is a version of barracks that is only available to those sides and builds infantry the ‘old’ way - 1 soldier at a time, without squads. This should allow AIs (not only AAI) to use them, and flag capturing won’t be a problem since AI side commanders provide enough resources anyway.

I would prefer letting the AI keep squad spawning and essentially as much as possible, and simply have an AI made for us, somehow, somewhere.

And if people want to use some other AI rather than ours then they can go fuck themselves, because there’s no point in using an AI NOT made for a game instead of one that IS made for a game.

Well, a custom-made AI is better, of course. Still IMO it’s easier to tweak AI sides than to write a new AI :slight_smile:

GRAAAAAAHHHH

I said I’d do this if I can get some sort of assurance of a feature freeze, but Nemo told me that it’s not worth it :-/

I can still do it, I just don’t want to waste 100+ hours of time on something that will be obsolete within a week.

Well. My point was that something akin to Chickens provides enough challenge for a skirmish setting, and in a mission setting it can be scripted, and you’re never going to make an AI that can provide a serious match to a competent human player.

That said, go for it. There shouldn’t be that much changing these days (at least as far as fundamental game mechanics - I make no promises on balance) at the infantry/vehicle/tank/gun level, now that flags and flag capturing are Lua’d.