I’ll try to translate this one from Russian, hope it will remain just as fun.
The setting: 1960s, early spring (it’s still quite muddy from recently thawed snow). Soviet Army has some kind of maneuvers. A group of high-ranked officers is standing on a hill and watching the ‘battle’. An old general sits beyond others and seems to have fallen asleep, others politely ‘not noticing’ that (since he’s old).
One of the officers points at a large map and explains what will happen next. So he says:
- And now our ground-attack aircraft will strike at their positions.
The old general quickly rises up, hurries to the map and asks:
- Son, point where exactly they will strike.
(officer points at a location)
- And when will they take off?
- They left the airfield 2 minutes ago.
Old general quickly puts off his visor hat and hides under a nearby APC. Other officers look at him and think “the old man must be insane”.
A moment later, the planes show up. Loud engine sounds, explosions, dirt and smoke flying everywhere… right at the hill the observation post was at. When the smoke cloud dissipates, the officers are fully covered by mud and dirt. They are trying to clean their uniforms, richly swearing in the process. The old general comes from under the APC, his uniform clean, puts on his hat and says with a smile:
- I remember those F****** ground-attack planes from the war. They never could identify the target properly on the first run!